Changing Active Directory and Exchange username after marriage or mistake

Do you have a user who recently got married, or have you ever fat fingered a user’s name but didn’t notice until the user tried to login with their actual name?  Well these are steps for you:

1.      Open Active Directory Users and Computers
2.      Navigate to the Employees Organizational Unit (OU)
3.      Right-click on the name of the employee for the name change and select rename
4.      Rename the employee
5.      Rename User dialog box appears

  • Full Name should be correct
  • First Name should be correct
  • Last Name should be changed to the new Last Name
  • Display Name will changed in the above step
  • User Logon Name should be changed to the new Last Name
  • User Logon name (pre-Windows 2000) will be changed in the above step

6.      Open Exchange Management Console
7.      Under Recipient Configuration click on Mailbox to view all user mailboxes
8.      Right click the employee name and select Properties
9.      In the General Tab

  • Change the Alias to match username changed in Active Directory Users and computers
  • Click Apply button

10.     In the E-Mail Addresses Tab

  • SMTP address with the new name should be bold
  • Highlight the old address, right click and select remove
  • Click Apply Button, then OK

11.     Update the Offline Address Book, navigate to Organization Configuration and select Mailbox
12.     Select the Offline Address Book Tab
13.     Right click on the Default Offline Address Book select Update
14.     Click Yes in the dialog box

That should do it for both AD and Exchange.

Credits for this go to SpiceWorks

Error copying files from SharePoint Explorer view to Windows 7

If you have files larger than 50mb then you will likely have some issues moving them from your SharePoint site explorer view to your machine or other source.

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

You will need to make this change on both source and destination.

Make sure to create a backup of the entire registry before moving forward.

  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  3. In the right pane, right-click the FileSizeLimitInBytes value, and then click Modify.
  4. Restart both computer

If you don’t see FileSizeLimitInBytes value in that registry location:

Make sure to create a backup of the entire registry before moving forward.

  1. Right-click the blank space in the right pane, click New, click DWORD Value, type FileSizeLimitInBytes, and then click OK.
  2. In the Edit DWORD Value box, click to select the Decimal option. In the box under Value data, type a value that is larger than the size of the file that you want to download. Click OK.
  3. Again reboot the destination you had to add the key to

Visio 2010 constantly crashing – “Send to Bluetooth” Add-in

I had a few users contact me regarding their Visio application crashing every time they opened it up.  They are using Windows 7 x64 with Office Visio x32.

To resolve this issue:

  1. Start Visio as administrator by Shift-right clicking the Visio shortcut and select “Run as administrator.”
  2. Select File then Options.
  3. Select Add-Ins from the links on the left of the Options dialog.
  4. Click the Go… button next to the Manage COM Add-ins drop-down list at the bottom of the Options dialog.
  5. Select the Send to Bluetooth add-in and click Remove.

This has worked every time and hopefully it will work for you

Managing Windows 2008 R2 HyperV from Windows 8

Well I hate to say it but Microsoft has done it again.  After installing Windows 8 in a domain environment and having to manage many 08/08 R2 HyperV servers I opened the console and received the following error: An error occurred while attempting to connect to server “SERVER”. Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

So after doing some research I found that this is normal because of some changes to the WMI namespace, more information here. So the solution, which in my opinion works and looks better than the native HyperV console is a free product made from 5nine. Download it from my site as the new version 3.1 will no longer allow you to manage Hyper-V’s. Download HERE

Try it out and let me know what you think.